Sunday, May 29, 2011

#4: It's Sunny!

Scene
I've been following Casey's advice about jotting down various thoughts of ways I can improve to be happier. Although it may be too early to call it a success, but by having a tangible list of notes I can carry wherever I go, I have become a lot more aware of what makes me unhappy and what I can do to resolve problems as they arise. Without a doubt, I've let less problems build up and worry me down throughout the day. So far so good :0)

Last night, I took a shot in the dark and replied back to a friend who I haven't seen or spoken with in a long, long while. Like those oh so young high school days. I had a crush on her back then, which I dismally failed to express eloquently in a dignified manner. If there are any young'uns reading this, please do not confess your affection over electronics (texting, phone, internets). Walk up to your person of interest, strike up a real face to face conversation, and ask him/her out. Trust me on this.

So, although ironically I cowardly used the internets (AIM to be more specific. I know, shameful, but I was a real shy kid around girls), we've been friends throughout these years because of the internets with the advent of Facebook. Messaging back and forth and asking about life and med school application advice. After years, I finally had a light bulb moment and decided, why not? Through various scheduling conflicts, we worked out a meet up day. It's not a date, geez. Just a friendly catch up.

I surprised myself. Item #8 on my list: Think-->Do-->Stop thinking. I used to overthink a lot, which led me to avoid starting to resolve most of my problems. A lot of what ifs. The point is, do those what ifs even matter in the end if you don't actually do anything? No.

Question
When was the last time you just told yourself, "Hey, just do it" and did something that not only surprised you, but also had a surprising result?

No comments:

Post a Comment