Saturday, April 21, 2012

#36: Culture Shock

CC. 2/2. PMHx. Abs. Tx. Abx. qd. subq. DKA. DM. MVA. Sxs.

This is how I write my notes. I speak in the structure of chief complaint (CC), history of present illness (HPI), past medical history (PMHx), and a closing with treatment (Tx). I get a bit annoyed when people don't present things in this structure, even when we don't talk about medicine. I oftentimes want people to present their life problems just like a medical presentation on rounds.

This past Spring Break it took me a few days to become reacclimated with how normal civilized people interact with carefree banter that go nowhere and has no point other than for kicks and giggles. It took me a few days to put away the books even for a day and go have fun without feeling an exorbitant load of guilt.

After being around medicine and medicine people all day, every day for a long period of time, it really takes a long time to adjust. Exiting the medicine world is almost a surreal experience. It's difficult "shut off" the medical personality. Somehow I feel that this is like a Southwest Airlines commercial: want to get away?

Question
How difficult is it for you understand what doctors are saying, especially with jargon?   

No comments:

Post a Comment